1965 Ferrari 275 GTB 6C
The Ferrari 275 GTB
Between 1964 and 1966, Ferrari built this, the 275 GTB, a two-seat grand touring coupe. As was tradition with Ferrari, the model’s name was derived from the engine’s individual cylinder displacement, in this case 275 cc, with the Italian designation of Gran Turismo Berlinetta.
Ferrari’s Tipo 213 engine was the final and ultimate development of the incredible 3,285 cc Colombo V12 for the road, and in standard form was fitted with three Weber 40 DCN carburettors. However, if you were one of Enzo Ferrari’s favoured clients, or intended to compete, you may have received a car fitted with six Weber 40 DCN carburettors, less than 60 cars were completed in this specification. In todays market, these are the most desirable 275 GTBs thanks to the increased performance offered by the six carburettors. This formidable power was delivered to the road through a rear-mounted transaxle, which housed both the five-speed gearbox and rear differential. This transaxle assembly had proven to be highly successful on circuit, with the 275 GTB being the first Ferrari road car to feature this technology. Importantly, the 275 GTB was also the first Ferrari road car to incorporate independent suspension at all four corners.
The timelessly elegant coachwork was designed by Carrozzeria Pininfarina and built by Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Modena. The bodywork featured aluminium doors, bonnet and boot lid with the cabin featuring a large wrap-around windscreen, and rear screen flanked by sail panels featuring triple cabin exhaust air slots that matched the quadruple arrangement on the front wings.
This Ferrari 275 GTB 6C
The Ferrari 275 GTB 6C offered here, chassis 07085, completed manufacture at the Maranello factory in March 1965. A copy of the Ferrari build sheet accompanies this stunning car, confirming it to be one of only a handful of 275 GTBs fitted with six Weber 40 DCN carburettors from new. The car was fitted with engine number 07085 (internal number 312/64), and transaxle number 62, both of which are still fitted to the car today, making it a fully matching numbers example.
The first owner of this 275 GTB 6C was Count Vittorio Zanon di Valgiurata in Turin, Italy. Vittorio was former president of the Italian ASI (Automotoclub Storico Italy), and a well-known car collector, owning cars such as a 1933 Lancia Astura Torpedo Grand Sport by Carrozzeria Castagna, a 1953 Ferrari 375 MM Spider by Pinin Farina, and one of the original Lancia D24 sports racing cars. It is reported that documentation within the Ferrari factory contains correspondence from Enzo Ferrari himself to the young Count saying, “In view of your sporting driving style I have fitted six carburettors to your new car”.
By 1980 this 275 had left Italy and been exported to the United States of America where it was owned by famed Ferrari collector, Karl Dedolph of Minesota. Dedolph also owned a fabulous 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Interim Berlinetta, a 1961Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Coupe Aerodynamico, and after selling this 275 GTB 6C would go on to buy another! This car was also listed in the 1980 USA Ferrari Owners Club Membership Directory with Dedolph.
In December 1980, this Ferrari returned to its native Italy, where it was bought by Pier Paolo Apicella in Bologna. Yet again, this 275 GTB 6C was under the stewardship of an important Ferrari collection, with Apicella also owning a 1964 Ferrari 250 LM, and even a Lamborghini Miura P400 S. This 275 GTB 6C was registered in Italy and assigned license ‘BO 873824’ in February 1981.
As any automotive perfectionist would, when the time came, Apicella chose only the best to restore his important 275 GTB 6C. With no expense spared, Autofficina Sauro, one of Italy’s oldest Ferrari agents and well known for their work on the Albert Obrist collection’s racing Ferraris were entrusted with the mechanical rebuild. For the bodywork and paintwork, Egidio Brandoli, formerly of Carrozzeria Scaglietti and best known for his impeccable work on classic Ferraris, was chosen. The upholstery fell to probably the most famous Ferrari trim shop in the world, Luppi.
Apicella had paid close attention to Albert Obrists 275 GTB/C which was in Sauro’s workshops and requested that his 275 GTB 6C should incorporate similar body details. Afterall, these two cars were originally built to similar mechanical specifications with six Weber carburettors and wet sump lubrication. Brandoli therefore added the 250 GTO style air vents in the rear wheel arches, 250 LM style faired-in driving lights and an outside, quick release fuel filler. The 275 GTB/C prototype also featured a triangular power bulge in the bonnet, which again Brandoli incorporated into this 275 GTB 6C before finishing the car in the beautiful Bianco Polo paintwork we see today.
With such a meticulously and well-restored Ferrari, Apricella rarely used his stunning 275 GTB 6C over the next eight years before he chose to sell his collection. This 275 GTB 6C remained in Italy and was bought by Giorgio Valentini who owned a collection of five cars, including a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL and a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 ‘Daytona’. A resident in Milan, Valentini rarely used the car until his passing in 2003, with his widow selling this car in July the same year to a young classic car enthusiast, Massimo Bettati in Reggio Emilia, Italy.
Bettati retained ownership for nearly five years, with regular maintenance carried out by Ferrari specialists, Toni Auto in Maranello and GTO Engineering in England. In April 2007 this 275 was bought by English collector, Robin Lodge who registered the car in the UK with license ‘ABW 191C’. As has become also tradition for 07085, it had fallen into the ownership of another Ferrari collector, with Lodge also owning a 1951 Ferrari 340 America Coupe by Vignale, a 1959 Ferrari 246 Dino and a 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta.
In more recent years, this six carburettor 275 GTB has returned to Italy, where it was pride of place in a sizeable collection which also included a Ferrari 330 GTS and Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Super Sport Villa d’Este Coupe. This collection housed no fewer than 20 exotic pre and post war sports cars, with a team of onsite mechanics ensuring every car was always correctly maintained and ready to go.
The 275 GTB has become one of the most desirable and admired classic Ferrari’s ever built. Whether new or old to the classic car world, it is hard to find any collection which has not, or does not, contain a 275 GTB. If you are looking for a special 275 GTB, one that has a great history, fantastic presence and was fitted with six Weber carburettors from new at the Ferrari factory, how can you look any further than this, chassis 07085.
Price Upon Request
Price Upon Request