SOLD | 1959 Fiat-Abarth 750 Record Monza by Zagato
The Fiat-Abarth 750 Record Monza by Zagato:
Abarth & C. was founded by Carlo Abarth, born Karl Abarth in Austria, who was a very talented manufacturer of custom exhaust systems, eventually branching out into high performance parts. Abarth was also the Italian distributor for Porsche which led to Piero Dusio of Cisitalia being connected with Ferry Porsche who had a yearning to race in Formula One. Sadly, the project bankrupted Cisitalia, with Carlo Abarth inheriting most of the Cisitalia company assets, selling off the final Cisitalia cars as Abarths, before developing the 750.
In the late 1950’s and 1960’s Abarth & C. of Turin, Italy, built the Fiat-Abarth 750 which is a compact sporting series of cars. The 750 used the floor plan of the Fiat 600, but was fitted with Abarth’s modified engine, along with a variety of body styles from various carrosserie’s.
This, the 750 Record Monza, was a development of the giant-killing 750 GT, built to celebrate Abarth’s numerous record-setting endurance runs at the famed Italian circuit, Autodromo Nazionale Monza. Cloaked in the timelessly elegant and desirable coachwork by Zagato, the 750 Record Monza continued the tradition set by the 750 GT, continuing to challenge much larger competitors within motorsport.
This Fiat-Abarth 750 Record Monza by Zagato:
Abarth were well known for their highly-tuned engines, and lightweight, nimble cars, with this, the 750 Record Monza being no exception. This car features beautiful curvaceous bodywork by the famed Milanese coachbuilders, Zagato.
On the 14th April 1959, this Fiat-Abarth was sold new and registered in Palermo, Italy, where it remained until 1964 at which point it moved to Trapani, also on the Italian island of Sicily. The car was assigned a new registration ‘TP 20739’, with the original registration book remaining with the car to this day! This incredibly rare and special piece of documentation also has many inspection stamps from the 1960’s and 1970’s.
This car was bought by Biagio Tumbarello in March 1971, as confirmed in the original registration book, where it remained for over ten years, being bought by another Italian in 1983. Based in Bergamo, Italy, this gentleman retained the car for four years, before it was sold to his brother in law.
The previous owner purchased the car in the early 1990’s, overseeing a restoration, before selling the car to the current owner. Under its current ownership, the car has been beautifully repainted in the elegant colour of Blu Francia. Further works included new valves, head gasket, an overhaul of the brake system and new tyres fitted to the ultra-rare Amadori wheels, along with a retrim of the very desirable lightweight seats.