• 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder
SOLD | 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder Chassis no. 10327
  1. Home
  2. Sold
  3. 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder

To get updates

Please fill in your full name and email address to receive the latest news about Girardo & Co.

If you would like to be removed from our email mailing list please contact us at info@girardo.com

Chassis No
The penultimate example of just 14 built
Extra Information
Ferrari Classiche Certified, fully matching numbers
Previous Owners
Previously owned by Al Garthwaite and Steve Hamilton
Previous Residence
The first Ferrari 365 model, featuring the 4390 cc Colombo V12 engine
Condition
Successor to the fabulous Ferrari 500 Superfast
  • 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder
  • 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder

SOLD | 1967 Ferrari 365 California Spyder

Chassis no. 10327
Engine no. 10327


The Ultimate California Spyder:

The Ferrari 365 California Spyder was announced in parallel with the 330 GTC at the 1966 Geneva Salon. It was the ultimate Ferrari of its day, the flagship for which only Ferraris most loyal and valued VIP clients were eligible. Production totalled only 14 examples, each being hand crafted at the Pininfarina works in Turin, and Ferrari factory at Maranello. All 14 were built for the super-rich, people who inhabited that rarefied air in which bespoke deals were done with the utmost discretion. Used to being able to get exactly what they wanted, they would have looked at a ‘run of the mill’ 250 GT or 275 and decided that they wanted something a little more special, more individual, more befitting of their status.

The ‘California Spyder’ nomenclature is most commonly associated with the 250 GT series of cars, of which around 100 examples were made, predominantly for the US market. Whilst the 365 California Spyder was visually and technically a departure from the 250 GT series cars, it maintained the same philosophy, to be the ultimate Ferrari GT Spyder.

Using the same well-developed chassis as the 500 Superfast before it, the 365 California Spyder was then wrapped in an evolutionary Spyder body by Pininfarina, culminating in Ferraris most expensive road car of the time. This model is also considered to be one of the last great coach built Ferraris, encompassing unique elements such as the covered headlights, pop-up driving lights and door handles which suggest a mid-engine layout. Another unique feature to this model is the angular tail styling, a big departure from any previous traditional designs.

The mechanical DNA of this model is also very significant, it is the first road-going Ferrari model offered with the 4390 cc V12 Colombo engine. It features a single overhead camshaft per bank and was assigned the factory type reference 217B, featuring a bore and stroke of 81mm X 71mm and ‘outside plugs’. The engine was coupled to a five-speed all synchromesh gearbox, with drive taken through a propeller shaft to a rigid rear axle.


This California Spyder:

The beautifully elegant Ferrari 365 California Spyder we have pleasure in offering you is chassis number 10327. The chassis frame entered the Carrozzeria Pininfarina plant in Torino on 5th November 1966 and once the bodywork was complete, the car returned to the Ferrari factory in Maranello where assembly was finished on 27th July 1967. This the penultimate of only 14 examples built. The car was immediately destined for the American market with Ferrari issuing its invoice, number 2131/67, to Luigi Chinetti Motors Inc in Greenwich, Connecticut on 19th September 1967. The car was specified with air conditioning, power steering, power-operated windows, safety belts and a Blaupunkt radio with electric antenna. A copy of the Ferrari invoice is supplied in the cars history file, also confirming the sale price to be 12,050 Italian Lire. The car was painted in the same elegant colour combination it retains to this day, Rosso 2664901 A.It. over a Pelle Bianca “Molitan” M interior.

In early October 1967, this car was sold to its first owner, the Electric Regulator Company (ERC) which was owned by Mr Arthur Cohen. The company was founded in 1945 to manufacture regulators for motor-generator sets and was also based in Connecticut. It is believed that in 1968 the left front of the car was damaged with Luigi Chinetti purchasing the required replacement parts directly from Pinincar, the parts department at Pininfarina, on 28th February 1968.

James Ettinger was the cars second owner, also based in Connecticut, taking ownership in September 1970, before passing it to Harley E. Cluxton III, of Grand Touring Cars Inc in 1978. At the request of Ferrari SpA, Grand Touring Cars Inc. was first incorporated in Chicago in 1972, by former racing driver and attorney Harley E. Cluxton III. The youngest exclusive Authorized Ferrari Dealer in the United States at age 26, Mr. Cluxton relocated GTC to Phoenix, Arizona in 1973, at which time he was also awarded the Lamborghini contract for the Western United States. Harley E. Cluxton III was also a successful racing driver who entered the Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, and eventually the famed Le Mans 24 Hours in 1975.

Grand Touring Cars Inc overhauled the car and sold it soon after to JPD Wholesale, owned by Ed Superfon in Los Angeles, California. In 1979, the car was also photographed and featured in an article written by Ferrari aficionado Gerald Roush for the Ferrari magazine, Cavallino.

In the 1980’s the car was bought by Al Garthwaite, who in 1972 formed a partnership with Luigi Chinetti to become the importer for Ferrari, covering the entire eastern half of the United States. Garthwaite registered this car on Pennsylvanian license plate ‘ALGAR 3’.

The car next appeared with Mike Sheehan in 1993 who sold 10327 on behalf of Al Garthwaite to Steve Hamilton in Reno, Nevada. In 1997 Hamilton confirmed to Mike Sheehan that the car had now covered 33,000 miles and he was having the car repainted. Motor Klassik then featured chassis 10327 in the October 1998 edition of its magazine.

The car later passed to Charles Bronson who also had the interior retrimmed in tan leather with matching carpets in February 2002. In late 2005 Patrick Ottis performed a major service on the car prior to its sale via Bruce Trenery’s Fantasy Junction in Berkley, California. Over the late 2000’s the car passed through auction before passing to its previous owner.

Most notably on 18th June 2014 chassis 10327 was awarded its much-coveted Ferrari Certificato di autenticita. The Ferrari Classiche Certification process confirms the car to retain all its original major mechanical components including its chassis, engine, gearbox, differential and body. The certification also confirmed the car is presented entirely in its original colour combination of Rosso over Pelle Bianca “Molitan” M interior.

The car we are offering here is matching-numbers with known history from new, it has been Ferrari Certified and is unquestionably one of the finest examples of the limited few 365 California Spyders built. Still in fabulous condition, this is one of Ferrari’s rarest coach built road cars. With its competition derived 320 horsepower 4.4-litre engine and gorgeous Pininfarina body, it would be welcome to all the great Ferrari events around the world, in this its 50th anniversary year.


Price: SOLD

Available

Available

Registered new to Carrozzeria Zagato S.R.L, Milan, Italy, Raced in period by Elio Zagato, son of Zagato S.p.A founder Ugo Zagato to two class victories Sold 1959 Lancia Flaminia Sport Series 1 by Zagato
1959 Lancia Flaminia Sport Series 1 by Zagato
Fourth-place finisher at the 1972 Le Mans 24 Hours, The last Works-entered Alfa Romeo in the Le Mans 24 Hours Sold 1972 Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 TT 3Video
1972 Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 TT 3
First registered to Fiat Auto Spa – TO Y70772, 1983 and 1984 WRC San Remo Rally entrant, Driven by European Rally Champions, Fabrizio Tabaton and Carlo Capone, Raced in period wearing the iconic Totip, R6 and Olio Fiat Liveries Sold 1983 Lancia 037 Rally Group BUnder Offer
1983 Lancia 037 Rally Group B
Displayed at the 1955 Brussels Motor Show on the Lancia stand, Unique coachwork by Carrozzeria Vignale, Accompanied by its Lancia Classiche Certificate of Origin, FIVA Passport and period pictures Sold 1953 Lancia Aurelia B52 Spider by Vignale
1953 Lancia Aurelia B52 Spider by Vignale
One of only 70 examples ever produced, Engine upgrade to 4.2-litre specification by Aston Martin specialist RS Williams Sold 1963 Aston Martin DB4 Convertible
1963 Aston Martin DB4 Convertible
Second overall at the 1980 Daytona 24 Hours, Fresh from a complete engine rebuild, Three-time Daytona 24 Hours participant & Three-time Sebring 12 Hours participant Sold 1978 Porsche 935 K3Video
1978 Porsche 935 K3
The 18th of only 177 examples produced, Restored by Lamborghini specialists, Colin Clarke Engineering Sold 1971 Lamborghini Jarama 400 GT
1971 Lamborghini Jarama  400 GT
One of only 17 RHD XK150 S 3.8 OTS built in 1960, Retaining its original Chassis, Engine, Gearbox and Body, European registered Sold 1960 Jaguar XK150 S 3.8 Roadster
1960 Jaguar XK150 S 3.8 Roadster
Raced by World Rally Champion, Petter Solberg in his Championship-winning year, Fully rebuilt ‘0 km’ engine, 20 km gearbox, and presented in its 2003 Monte Carlo Rally livery Sold 2003 Subaru Impreza WRC 2003Under Offer
2003 Subaru Impreza WRC 2003